Saturday, August 23, 2014

Backpacking Myanmar Series: Bagan

Bagan, Myanmar
When we landed in Bagan, the first order of the day was to look for transportation that could take us to our hotel and since again we were in the middle of the Thingyan festivities, we went out of the airport only to see all the other tourists rushing to take all the few available taxis until there was none left. We were about 8 travellers left with no ride, staring at nothing across the vast and dry land that surrounded the airport. Luckily one mini assembled pick up truck arrived and we all scrambled to find a comfortable spot on the floor. The catch: the whole back area was open making us all vulnerable to the trigger-happy locals armed with pails and water hoses when we make our way across town. We had to rush waterproofing all our backpacks before we reach any form of civilization when true enough, ice cold water started spraying to our faces that we all were shivering within the first 10 minutes of our ride. But it was all fun and happy. Ciel and I were dripping wet on the carpet at the hotel reception when we arrived.


These kids were waiting for us outside the hotel to douse us with water

Around lunch time, I overheard two people occupying the room across ours talking in Tagalog so I took my chance and asked them where in Manila they both came from. This was the start of a new friendship *insert cheesy music*. Meet Kriz and Apol. They were on their 2nd day in Bagan and were contemplating on taking a leisurely visit to the less visited stupas. The best news, we got to tag along! We visited a few temples and settled on a nice and isolated spot to wait for sunset.

Ciel and our two new friends Apol and Kriz

My touristy pose with the temples as backdrop

This local girl spoke really good English I couldn't resist not buying her any lacquer ware

Horsecart tour around Old Bagan

Drinking in the sunset and Bagan skyline :)

The next day I assigned as Bike Day! Ciel and I got 2 bikes and drove like crazy passing by groups of locals who threw pails of water our way. The water was refreshing as we were cycling under the scorching heat.

With my purple girly bike

Locals throwing water at passersby

A chunk of ice stuck on my back at dusk causing me to shiver vigorously on my ride back to the hotel

No comments:

Post a Comment